Zoopla house price estimates are our opinion of the market values of homes and are calculated using historic data and current local trends. Our Automated Valuation Model (AVM) is powered by Hometrack, which is the UK's biggest automated valuer of residential property.
The model provides an accurate picture of property prices with coverage of homes across the UK. To make its calculations as accurate as possible, Hometrack considers:
- Previously sold prices of the property, and when it was sold
- Changes in market value of similar properties sold nearby, and value trends
- Characteristics of the property, for example, the number of bedrooms
- Local area data, including crime rates and local schools
- Any extra work that has been done to the property, and that which hasn't been recorded yet (including extensions, extra rooms, makeovers)
The data we use is updated every month. The exact date of the update varies depending on where the information is coming from. For example, HM Land Registry, Royal Mail, Ordnance Survey or Registers of Scotland.
Data is richer in England and Wales than in Scotland, where a narrower range of data is available, and in Northern Ireland, where it is not published. This makes our estimated ranges more accurate in England and Wales than Scotland and Northern Ireland
Whilst you used to be able to input information about your own property, we found that homeowners tended to overestimate its value. This impacted the accuracy of our estimates.
Our mission is to provide data on all homes in the UK - over 29 million currently, and get it right. Therefore, our calculations are now solely based on impartial data from third party, public organisations.
Did you know...
You can track properties which helps you easily find our Zoopla estimate (where we have one for a property) to see what a home is worth, and view a Property timeline to look at it's history including historical sale and listing events, as well as keep up to date with homes you are interested in. Tracked properties can be accessed from your Saved properties
For more information on How do I track a property, click here
- New data cannot be manually fed into the AVM, not by users, nor by ourselves. Therefore, we're unable to manually add estimated price ranges
- Our estimates are not formal valuations. We advise you contact an estate agent or surveyor for a more accurate valuation, as they can conduct a visit. Contact a local agent here